PA Mud Busters
Please take the time to register with us here at Dana 20 twin stik PMBsmiliey!....

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PA Mud Busters
Please take the time to register with us here at Dana 20 twin stik PMBsmiliey!....
PA Mud Busters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Dana 20 twin stik

3 posters

Go down

Dana 20 twin stik Empty Dana 20 twin stik

Post by Twiztidunit Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:23 pm

how to twin stick a dana 20.This way that I documented worked for me,some dana 20s are different,and hold no responsibility whatsoever if you screw your case up.Tools needed:get a good manual or picture of a breakdown of the case.3/8 ratchet,9/16 socket,9/16 wrench,3/16 allen wrench or swivel socket,gasket materal,yoke seals,vasoline,ball peen hammer,brass drift,loktite,and gear lube 1)drain oil 2)unbolt driveshaft and mark yoke and u-joint to realign later-unhook linkage 3)support trans with floor jack or stand 4)remove crossmember 5)remove tranny to t-case bolts(4 bolts,1 nut)remove case 6)clean case to avoid getting dirt inside 7)remove 10 bolts holding the bottom pan 8)what we are looking to do is remove the inner lock pillars for the shift rods.You will need to remove the intermediate shaft&gears and front drive gears.Ive read you can remove the bolts that hold the shift forks on the rods without doing this,but my hands arent the size of a 6 month old and besides it gives you a chance to inspect the internals,its not that hard. 9)remove lockplate and bolt and drive out intermediate shaft twards the rear with a brass drift and hammer 10)there will be 48 needle bearings,make sure you account for them all,and dnt worry,this is what the vasiline is for 11)remove allen bolt from rear fork,turn 1/4 turn and remove rod 12)remove front bearing retainer housing.WATCH FOR THE BALL AND POPPET SPRINGS,dont lose these(2 balls,2 springs) 13)on the bearing retainer there is 2 plugs on the side that the front fork is on-remove these,I drilled them 14)now remove the 2 interlock pins.There is a way to grind the shaft rodsto re-use these.This will kep you from putting one in low and the other in hi.I am not doing this step,use a little common sense when shifting your case to avoid this.If you dont you will tear something up! 15)now start re-assembly,put the rear shift rod in the case and insert back in shift fork.line the notch on the shaft with hole on fork and locktite allen bolt and re-install.torque to 12 to 15ft lbs.I HIGHLY SUGGEST THAT YOU LOCKTITE THIS!!!! 16)install front yoke seal,install front bearing retainer,pull the rear shift rod forward,drop the spring and ball in its place,hold down with screwdriver,and tap cover on the rest of the way.Dont forget to seal with gasket materal 17)install cover bolts and torque to 28-32 ft lbs,again,use locktite 18)now take the vasiline and coat the inside of the intermideate gear,install needle bearings.DO NOT USE GREASE!!!!!vasiline will dissolve,grease wont,will starve the bearings of lube!!Install gear in case,insert shaft,slide on spacer,rear spacer can be held in place with vasiline,then CAREFULLY install shaft the rest of the way,taking care not to dislodge the needle bearings 19)install lockplate,i.d. tag and lockplate bolt w/locktite,torque to 12-15 ft lbs 20)now woud be a good time to make sure everything is shifting 21)install bottom cover with form-a-gasket,tighten bolts to 28-32 ftlbs,throw t-case back up in the jeep,makin sure you clean all mating surfaces and use form-a-gasket 22)install d-shafts,lining up the marks you made,do this now,it makes it a lot easier to install front d-shaft with crossmember out of the way 23)install crossmember&trans mount,use locktite 24)fill with gear oil,about 3 1/4 pints API GL5 SAE 80w90 25)install your shifters,shift one at a timeso you can get used to where lo and hi is.REMEMBER,IT IS POSSIBLE TO HAVE ONE IN HI AND THE OTHER IN LO,BE CAREFUL,THIS WILL BREAK SOMETHING IF YOU DO!!!Now you have 2hi,2lo rear,2hi,2lo front,4wd hi&4wd lo....happy wheelin!!!!!!! Twisted Evil clown
Twiztidunit
Twiztidunit

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2009-01-16

Back to top Go down

Dana 20 twin stik Empty Re: Dana 20 twin stik

Post by Twiztidunit Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:30 pm

Dana 20 twin stik Viewer.php?file=dgnp3gy3umg7t6cu0mo

Dana 20 twin stik Viewer.php?file=azhxbvsp6sbyyx0o4bbh

Dana 20 twin stik Bkbjoky4ireesr7hzlbz_thumb

Dana 20 twin stik L0hzh1v6quw9r0m3rinx_thumb

Dana 20 twin stik Aoz0h35momp11qdg92me_thumb

Dana 20 twin stik 5av6102t5m2qrsybn5k_thumb

Dana 20 twin stik Viewer.php?file=bf9q9iu9jjzadpww9dv

There I fixed it best I could guess some of the links aren't right. Admin
Twiztidunit
Twiztidunit

Back to top Go down

Post by Juggalo1 Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:18 pm

whats up with the pics? just put Dana 20 twin stik  before it & after it. it should come up as a pic insted of a link.
Juggalo1
Juggalo1

Number of posts : 353

http://rocksnroost.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Twiztidunit Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:19 am

i called myself tryin,but must of done somethin wrong Twisted Evil clown
Twiztidunit
Twiztidunit